
...so I've been told. The source shall remain nameless though. Lately I have had an addiction of looking at food blogs, which is starting to turn into a real problem. I am finding so many good looking things to make, all of which are full of fatty goodness. That's where this Mac 'N Cheese recipe comes in. I have only made homemade Mac 'N Cheese once in my life, and I didn't have a recipe, so it didn't turn out so well. But when I saw this recipe I knew I had to try it. And so I must share it for all to try because it was so delicious. And I have to admit I liked it better the next day! I had to do a few alterations to the recipe because Wal-Mart is limited in the cheese department, but that didn't seem to matter, it was still delightful! The recipe seems lengthy...it is, but well worth the effort. The picture doesn't do it justice.
LunaCafe OtherWorldly Mac & Cheese
Pasta
12 ounces, short, dried, tubular pasta, such as garganelli, maccheroni, mostaccioli, penne, tortiglione, or ziti **I used a whole 16 oz. box
2 teaspoons sea salt
Breadcrumb Topping
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 cups stale white bread crumbs, coarsely crumbled ** I used stuffing mix ground in a food processor...lots more flavor
2 clove garlic, pressed or minced
Cheeses (15-16 ounces or about 5 cups total cheese)
6 ounces (2 cups) grated, aged cheddar cheese
3 ounces (1 cup) grated Swiss Emmanthaler or Gruyere **Couldn't find
3 ounces (1 cup) grated, mild-flavored melting cheese, such as Jack or Asadero
3 ounces (1 cup) grated Italian Pecorino Romano (aged at least 9 months) ** I used a combo of Romano, Asiago, and Parmesan
optional: 2-4 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese (1 ounce) **Couldn't find
**I just added more of the cheesed that I had to compensate for the cheese I couldn't find
Béchamel Sauce
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups minced yellow onion (8 ounces or about 1 large onion)
2 cloves garlic, peeled, and minced or pressed
½ cup all-purpose flour
4 cups milk (or a mixture of half milk and half cream or sour cream, or a mixture of half cream and half chicken stock) **I used half milk and half cream
sea salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Optional Extras (choose one or more)
½ cup, stemmed, seeded, diced jalapeno chilies (add while the onions are cooking)
½ cup cooked, crumbled applewood smoked bacon (add when mixing the sauce with the pasta)
1 cup roasted, peeled, seeded, diced poblano chile (add when mixing the sauce with the pasta)
½ cup roasted, peeled, seeded, diced jalapeno chile (add when mixing the sauce with the pasta)
2 cups sautéed, chopped shitake mushrooms (add when mixing the sauce with the pasta)
Prepare the baking dish
- Coat a 6-cup capacity, ovenproof casserole with vegetable spray or a dab of butter. Reserve.
Make the breadcrumb topping
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the melted butter, bread crumbs, and garlic. Reserve.
Cook the pasta
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil, add 2 teaspoons of salt, return to a boil, and add the pasta.
- Cook until just barely tender with a bit of chewiness remaining.
- Remove the pasta pot from the stove and carefully pour the water and pasta into a large colander to drain. Run cold water over the pasta to cool it to room temperature. Add pasta to a large mixing bowl.
- Toss the pasta in the bowl with all of the cheeses and reserve.
Make the béchamel sauce
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter, add the onions, and slowly cook until onions are softened but not browned. Add the garlic and stir to combine.
- Stir in the flour, and cook without browning for two minutes.
- Slowly pour in the milk and whisk constantly while bringing the sauce to a simmer. Simmer, whisking continuously, for 2 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta and cheeses in the bowl. With a large spatula, fold to combine.
- Spoon into the prepared casserole, mounding slightly at the center.
- Sprinkle on the breadcrumb topping.
- Bake at 350º for 30-40 minutes until heated through and bubbling. Broil for a minute or two to finish browning the top.





2 Special Treasures:
I said it- this stuff is amazing! Not as easy as dad's but I'm not the one who made it! I can't wait to have more leftovers tomorrow!
That looks way too complicated...
Post a Comment