June 25, 2008

T.G.I.......W.

Because that means that it is Farmer's Market day! I have never been to the Sacramento Farmer's Market, but I decided to give it a try. So yesterday I was bored and got the grand idea of looking up local events in Sacramento and see if I wanted to go to any of them. And the Farmer's Market came up. I have been to a few Farmer's Market in my day and I really enjoy walking around to look at what everyone has at their tents. So, I decided that it would be a good activity since I never go anywhere in the city. So today I set out on my adventure to downtown Sacramento...by myself. I have to add in here that I don't do well with directions and finding my way around places that I don't know. So this really was an adventure for me. And I am proud to say that only once did I get on the wrong freeway, and that was on the way home, and it wasn't completely my fault. I was fully aware of the correct freeway entrance, someone just wouldn't let me over, so I had to take the scenic route. Anyways, when I got downtown I was a little nervous about finding a place to park, but luckily found a place just a block away from the market. One cool thing about downtown is that they don't have parking meters, so you don't have to worry if you have quarters or not. But they have little pay "stations" that you can use a credit card at and then it prints out a little sticker that you put in your window. I know that they have these in parking lots and such, but I have never seen them just along the street. I was very excited about these, because I have no quarters. So, I get to the Farmer's Market and it is great! It is so cool that there is just a park on it's own block right in the middle of downtown surrounded by buildings. But in this picture you can't even tell....that is why it is so great!There was everything from blueberries to popcorn, flowers to nuts, almost every fruit and vegetable you could want, herbs....I think you get the point. It was just so much fun to see all of the different booths and everything they had. It was hard not to buy a lot of things, because
everything is so cheap. But I had self control and only bought 3 things. And the total was under $10! I got a beautiful bouquet of flowers for only $5. Seriously, where can you get flowers for that cheap??? And I got a few delicious peaches for $1/lb. But I think the purchase of the day was Pizza Bagels. I remember buying this kind of bagel from the BYU Twilight Zone. So if you have ever had those, imagine a pizza bagel that is about 14 times better than that. Seriously. These bagels are just so delicious! I can't even begin to describe how good they are. And if you don't know what a pizza bagel is...then I truly pity you. The bagel itself has a bunch of herbs in it, then it is topped with pizza sauce and cheese. That description does not do them justice...just imagine. So that pretty much sums up my day at the Farmer's Market. I will definitely be visiting it again and will hopefully be able to get a few more things. I got home safely, and had a fun time trying to figure out all the one way streets and trying to figure out how to get to the freeway I wanted. Another thing I have had to get used to in Sacramento is that there is more than one freeway. In Boise you only take one freeway to get anywhere. In Utah I only took one freeway to get anywhere. Here we have to take 3 freeways just to get to FHE every week. But I am getting the hang of "Bigger City" life. Oh yeah...I made a homeless lady's day. I was walking past her and smiled and said Hello. Of course, she asked if I could help her out, unfortunately I don't carry cash so I didn't have anything for her. So I apologized for not being able to help, but she said that the smile and Hello were good enough for her. I thought that was nice of her to say. So in a way, she made my day too!

4 Special Treasures:

Unknown said...

Maybe you could have given her a pizza bagel, because you're right, they're amazingly delicious. I love Farmers Markets, P.S. Happy Birthday!

Brandon said...

Nice to see that you finally posted again. And by the way, Happy Birthday!

brooke said...

Happy Birthday! I love farmer's markets too.

Robyn said...

Heidi-
I like your new blog layout. And now I'm hungry for a pizza bagel, too. We went to the Salem Farmers Market on Saturday and it was pretty rad too. We got a cinnamon roll and some dinner rolls that were delicious. Next time we'll get something healthy like some berries or veggies (and a cinnamon roll, too!). Have a good day!
Robyn