May 30, 2009

Seriously?

Is this something you would like to wake up to at 7 in the morning? Personally, I wouldn't. But today I didn't really get the option. I was startled from my sleep by beer bottles being hit against one another. I was thinking to myself that it was way too early for anyone to be throwing their bottles away from the previous night. Shouldn't they still be sleeping and fully hungover? This continued for a few minutes so I got up to look out the window. I wouldn't have heard it if I wouldn't have slept with my window open but what can you do when it is hot and you don't have AC. So, much to my surprise I saw a man digging through the dumpster. He was collecting every recyclable object and putting it in the proper recycling bin. I'm telling you. Oregon people are recycling nazis. I have never seen people so anal about things that can't be thrown away. A lady I work with is the epitome of this. One day I had a salad from Wendy's that come in the plastic container. When I was done with the salad I threw it away in the big dumpster outside. I am such a sinner. I didn't recycle. So, this lady goes to the dumpster and fishes my bowl out, washes it and puts it in the recycle can. It wouldn't have been as bad if the container had been full and she just took it right off the top. But she had to go all the way to the bottom to retrieve it. And these bins are really tall. Sometimes for fun we will just put a little piece of cardboard in the garbage to see how long it takes for her to notice it and recycle it. It is good to care about the environment and all, but to go to the extreme of going through dumpsters?! I don't know. I'm not sold on the idea.
Here are a few reasons I have a problem with this.
(Back to the man from this morning.)
1. The man doesn't live here.
It would be a little more understandable if he lived in the building and perhaps threw something away on accident and was fetching it. But to go to the extreme of just picking any old dumpster in Salem and digging through it for a few bottles...I don't get it.

2. He didn't have any sort of hand covering.
Ew. Hello?!?! Do you even know what people throw away? I just hope he has a fatty bottle of hand sanitizer because that is nasty.

3. He wasn't just skimming off the top...he was opening bags up and going through them.
Are you kidding me. What if someone threw up in that bag or something? He was just digging in...no problem. I do not even want to know what treasures are in people's garbage bags. And I am going to keep it that way.

4. It was early and woke me up.
Can't a girl just sleep in on a Saturday?

5. It's just really gross.
I can't get over how utterly disgusting that is.
Maybe I will leave him a little something in my bag for the next time he comes back. He is bound to find it at the rate he was going today. Any suggestions?

1 Special Treasures:

Unknown said...

Hey Heidi,
I just read the comment you left on my blog about Frank and Peter, and you surely do know who Frank is. As for the teenager thing, oh man, yes... oh the new story I could tell you, but this place isn't safe.
But you're right, they do have to take some blame, and we are going to find people that we feel safer sharing all of ourselves with because they are Heidi and Lindsey worthy.
Maybe you could try it with trash man, I mean, if you're willing to dig through other people's trash you must be willing to get to know them pretty well huh? ;)